Polishing Wood Floors Explained!
Have you ever thought about what all your wood floors endure?
Let me tell you,
Starting from beating the wood floors with high-heels, pet nails, kids running and jumping, shifting furniture and fittings, scattered children’s toys, just to shoot a few, it goes through a lot.
Undoubtedly, wood floors are tough but they are susceptible to scratches and scuffs and over time can lose their shine.
So what can be done to regain the shine your wood floors have lost.
Well, there are two options- Refinishing and Polishing.
Refinishing: The method of sanding floors entirely to utilize a new surface coating—is expensive and certainly only required every few decades.
Polishing: Polishing a wood floor surface is a method that needs care. Several opt to bring in experts like floor polishing Sherman oaks to do the work for them, but this task can easily be achieved by yourself.
In fact, it’s a lot more affordable and less time-consuming process. Polished floors come with various advantages including floor protection from mold and scratches, together with a fresh yet rich-looking finish.
Required Equipment for the Task
Several pieces of equipment and effective gear are required when you’re planing for hardwood floor polishing. Some are a must whereas some are just a matter if in case you need them.
Even if you have some equipment by your side, it is suggested that you hire the right kind of tools as it guarantees the job to be done pretty smoothly and in the correct manner. Also, make sure you hire equipment that is top of the line, in great condition, and well maintained leaving no room for any kind of trouble.
The list of things you need for wood polishing:
- 1. Floor polisher
- 2. Protective Clothing & Safety Equipments
- 3. Extension lead
- 4. Vacuum Cleaner
- 5. Broom or Walk behind sweeper
- 6. Mop & Bucket
- 7. Wood floor cleaner
- 8. Dishwasher soap and water
That’s about the gears! If you feel stuck with the entire DIY process, don’t hesitate to reach out to us email@example.com
Steps to follow before you start
After getting all the handy equipment, it’s time to follow a few steps to prep up the floors, some safety precautions prior to varnishing/polishing. Ensure that you follow them religiously and if you feel that you’re not meant for doing this job all by yourself, consult experts who are good with polishing and floor leveling Sherman oak.
- 1. Clear the Space, remove all furniture and fittings. household items and everything that can be moved to maximize maneuverability in that area.
- 2. Protective Clothing & Safety Equipments
- 3. Do floor assessment. inspect if there’s any kind of dents, specks of dirt, loose boards, or scratches before you proceed. Also, if you fins nay, it is advised to fix them beforehand.
- 4. If you are finishing your hardwood floors for the first time, practice a wood filler to load in any gaps or holes and hand sand those to even the outside area, and present an ideal level on which to exercise polish or varnish.
- 5. Check if your floors are pre-existing polished as Polishing directions are not the same for waxed floors.
- 6. Consulting manual is a great idea. Make sure you go through the manuals and instructions as they will help you reach end results fast and will also prevent waste of resources and equipment.
Varnish is a kind of paint-on material that can be applied to wooden platforms for a strong, bright, and lustrous shine. It can be done before the polishing process by diligently following the easy steps mentioned below:
1. Start with selecting a varnish for the desired look and finish of your dream space
2. Next, read instructions and begin brushing
3. Lastly, apply a finishing coat of liquid wood polish or UV protector to secure durability and protection for a longer time, rendering a rich high glossy look.
The Ultimate Step
After checking off all the aforementioned steps, we have finally reached the ultimate process. Let’s get started with polishing in 3,2,1…..
Schedule For A Free Inhouse Estimation
Vacuum or Sweep
Start with thoroughly cleaning the floors with a vacuum cleaner as they are ideal for medium or even smaller areas. And if you have a bigger space, try a walk-behind sweeper.
Clean with a mop
Utilize water, clean, and mop the floors properly. Also, apply a cleaning solution to get rid of dirt, grit, stain, etc
Setting up the polisher
Lay the polisher on a hard surface and then install the polishing brush head. Once finished, stand the polisher straight and attach it to an energy source Make certain you possess a long extension point to travel throughout the place.
Turn on the polisher
Keeping hand touch and assuring that you are perpetually in charge of the device, slowly drop the polisher and set the machine on. The brush will start to run and you will be able to commence polishing the hardwood floors.
Polishing the Floor
Methodically, start doing it from the end of the place towards the center of the place, polish your floorboards, and buff till you have obtained the shine you desired.
To check the flow of the polisher, implement force on the grip and drive the device smoothly in arcing movements as you polish.
If you want to go to a different range soon after, raise the polisher by leaning back on the wheels and wheeling it to the required spot.
Leave it for drying completely
Forget about it for the coming 24 hours and let the varnish completely sit. Don’t step or let anyone get into that area while these 24 hours.
You May Also Like To Read:
Thinking Of Wood Floors Refinishing? Learn How To Prep-Up Beforehand!